14 December 2009

Beware of the pesky festive burglars

I don’t know about you lot, but I finished my Christmas shopping weeks ago and have it all hidden safely in my colleague’s Batmobile – an excellent hiding spot I’m sure you’d agree.

I was just about to make a start on my wrapping when I read that the charity Crimestoppers has launched a new campaign, warning those of us in fine festive fettle not to get too carried away. Apparently, domestic burglary tends to rise during the Christmas and New Year period.

I could not believe that those pesky burglars would go peeping through my windows to see if I had any Christmas presents sitting underneath my tree! Imagine the looks on the faces of my rosy cheeked children and grandchildren if they were to miss out on receiving their trusty annual presents of superhero memorabilia this year? (Yes that’s right - I pride myself on being a hip granny who gives more to my offspring than lavender soap).

I for one won’t be a victim of any burglar.

As well as donning my superhero costume, I shall be following the advice on Crimestoppers’ website. According to the charity, it’s best to either put presents under the tree early on Christmas morning or keep the tree out of view from the window. I’m telling you, as soon as I’ve finished this blog, I’ll be moving the Christmas tree myself. I shall also keep all my other valuables out of sight from the windows.

You can also tell Crimestoppers if you know someone who’s committing burglary. Just call them anonymously on 0800 555 111 or fill out the secure online form on their website.

After exploring Crimestoppers’ website even further, I also discovered that one should never leave Christmas gifts in the boot of their car while out shopping. Caped Crimestopper – you’d better bring my gifts over in a jiffy!



No comments:

Post a Comment