13 November 2009

Let's Stamp out distraction burglary

Now I don't know about you, but I've been a fan of The Bill since it first aired in August 1983. The dishy characters combined with riveting story lines make it must-watch TV. That's why when I heard the Home Office's new distraction burglary campaign was being fronted by Graham Cole (fellow Bill fans might know him better as PC Tony Stamp), I sat up and paid attention.

Distraction burglary is when someone gains access to your home by false pretences, such as claiming to be from a utility company, to steal your belongings. The Home Office reports that older people and students are most at risk of it.

When someone I don’t know knocks on my front door, I always check their ID before even thinking about letting them enter my house. Always call the company the visitor claims to be from to clarify who they are. I’ve done this many times and genuine callers don’t mind waiting. If you would like more information about protecting yourself from distraction burglary, check out the Crimestoppers website. Also, the Home Office has put together free Secure your home packs as part of their campaign.


You can never be too careful with your health and the safety of your home so learn how to protect yours today.

I'll leave you with the wise words of Graham Cole, my man of the hour: "Anytime someone knocks on your door, if in doubt keep them out.”

No comments:

Post a Comment